Expanding our campus created a single campus for our ever growing district with advantages that include more cost efficient operations and maintenance, shared bus drop-off and staff parking, and shared use of facilities and outdoor amenities.
The Elementary School was constructed adjacent yet wholly separate from the Primary School. With capacity for 650 students, it is configured to house three neighborhoods for each grade level, creating smaller learning communities. Each neighborhood includes classrooms that surround small group spaces for individual attention, storage and ancillary support spaces for staff. The school's Learning Center and Computer lab are centrally located as well as the gym, stage and multi-purpose cafeteria.
The new Middle School replaced the Taveirne Middle School building in December 2006, housing over 800 students in a two-story configuration that incorporates a modern middle school curriculum and interdisciplinary team teaching in a dynamic environment. Grades 5-8 will be housed in a three-neighborhood arrangement, each with science labs, small group spaces and appropriate support spaces to foster team identity and cooperative learning.
The District's offices are located within the Middle School office. These areas will have secured public after hours.
Inspiring a diverse school community to be passionate and empathetic learners.
Big Hollow School District #38 will be a model of student achievement for elementary school districts in the State of Illinois.
- Encourage diversity and build a supportive and inclusive Big Hollow community.
- Successfully acquire, integrate, and implement technology into supporting the learning of students.
- To have a coordinated and collaborative effort to meet the unique educational needs of our student body.
- Build a cohesive, vertically aligned curriculum that supports teaching and learning.
- Ensure long-term financial stability of the District with resources aligned to priorities.