Big Hollow School District 38
Inclement Weather Procedures
Late Start Procedures:
Late start means that school will start two hours later than normal. Expect school buses to arrive at your student's bus stop two hours later than their regularly scheduled time. Early Childhood AM will NOT Attend. Early Childhood PM will begin at their regularly scheduled time. Dismissal will occur at the regular time.
|Normal Start Time
|Delayed Start Time
Early Childhood AM
Will not attend
Early Childhood PM
Primary School (K-1st)
Elementary School (2nd-4th)
Middle School (5th-8th)
E-Learning Procedures - click here for document
Procedure for deciding to close school:
The decision to implement a school closure will be made after carefully assessing a given weather situation. The safety of your child is at the forefront in the decision-making process. The district will make every effort to assure no child is sent to an unattended home, but to assist the schools, parents should create emergency back-up plans in advance for children in the event of an early dismissal. Our goal will always be to make a decision to close school prior to 6:00 a.m.
In making a decision whether or not to close school, the following resources are utilized:
- An analysis of temperatures and wind chills (www.noaa.gov).
- Determination by the BHSD transportation department as to whether or not it is safe to drive our busses on routes based on snow/ice expected accumulation.
- Road condition information from Grant Township and the Lake County Division of Transportation.
- School campus conditions
- Consultation with area school districts.
Communicating a school closure:
We will always post information on our website and send recorded voice messages to parents’ phone numbers regarding altered dismissals due to inclement weather. It is very important that you keep your contact information current on the school’s records. We want you to receive important messages so please make sure your phone numbers listed in your student’s Skyward records are accurate so you can receive messages.
- Other methods of communicating school closure are as follows:
- Visit the BHSD #38 website at www.bighollow.us
- Follow the BHSD #38 Facebook page @BHSD38
- Follow the BHSD #38 Twitter feed @BHSD38
- The Emergency Closing Center is an optional service you may access for school closing information. To sign-up for this free service, or to check the status of any closings, visit the public website at www.emergencyclosings.com.
Reopening of school will not be announced, but the closing announcement will be made each day as necessary. In the unlikely event that the decision is made to dismiss students before the end of the school day, the automated phone calling system will be activated to inform parents directly.